OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 Reaper HPC CrossFire-Certified RAM
In our reviews of the Sapphire 780G Motherboard and Hybrid CrossFire and Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3870 Toxic, I used a 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC CrossFire Certified kit (OCZ2RPR1066A2GK) provided by OCZ. Although DDR2 prices are lower than ever, it's still easy to pick out the good brands from the bad.
The 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC CrossFire Certified kit is no exception. Featuring an advanced heat pipe technology (the HPC part of the name) to cool the RAM and 5-5-5-15 timings, the kit made for an impressive performance in our previous two reviews. The kit is also CrossFire certified by AMD, providing for superior performance when compared against other DDR2 RAM when used with a CrossFire system, such as we did with the Sapphire 780G motherboard.
Packaging & Appearance
The Reaper HPC RAM was shipped in a plastic casing, something like what you would find handing from the walls in a toy store or at the checkout in a grocery store (I wish I could buy my RAM at the grocery store).
The heatsink on the RAM is unique to OCZ. While other brands may feature heatpipes, the overall design is very unique and, as I'll hopefully find out, much more effective. The heatspreader and fins are both made from aluminum, while the pipes are made from copper. AMD's "CrossFire Certified" logo is also prominently featured on both sticks of RAM.
The rear of the packaging provides a diagram and description of how the thermal solution works. However, there's no real mention of the unit's performance or CrossFire certification.
Jump to page:blog comments powered by Disqus
Open Source News
- Linux Mint Swap Banshee Affiliate Code, Take 100% of Profits
- Wayland Has Working Screensaver Support
- FreeBSD 9.0 May Just Be One Week Away
- Google Inc. Renews Firefox Search Deal
- Red Hat releases Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2
- KDE Widgets: Why They Matter
- Opera 11.60 Arrives
- Racing To Finish X.Org Multi-Touch Support
- Android 4.0 For x86 Is Now Available
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 Released
- Dungeons of Dredmor and Introversion source code added to Bundle!
- Open-source skills best hope for landing a good job
- Xen Virtualization Comes To ARM Cortex A15
- Linux Mint 12 Released
- Ubuntu On TVs
- Diablotek Legend Computer Case
- Patriot Pyro SE Solid State Drive
- EVGA Z68 FTW Motherboard
- Antec Eleven Hundred Mid Tower Gaming Case
- Raidmax Seiran Mid-Tower
- MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Video Card
- Roccat Kova[+] Optical USB Gaming Mouse
- ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Z68 LGA 1155 Motherboard
- Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM Triple Channel Kit
- OCZ Octane 512GB Indilinx SSD
- SteelSeries Desmo Digital Eyewear
- Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower Case
- IOCELL NetDISK 351UNE Network Storage Device
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 Low Voltage 1600MHz
- SilverStone SST-EC03 USB 3.0 PCI-E Card